Speculations from the fevered brain of a far-eastern missionary on Alma 34.
Hilbert’s Grand Hotel, of mathematical repute, seems relevant to an understanding of Amulek’s discourse about the infinite and eternal atoning sacrifice of the Savior. The hotel has an infinite number of rooms and all are occupied. When a new customer arrives, Hilbert simply moves the occupant of Room 1 into Room 2, the occupant in Room 2 into Room 3 and so on through infinity and thus accommodates the new customer. Thus each new customer, each repentant Christian seeking forgiveness, can be accommodated through the forgiving and cleansing power of the atonement, and no one who qualifies will be turned away.
For eternal I refer to Gilbert’s Timeless Bank. Suppose my name is Alma and I go to the bank to withdraw some money placed there by a benefactor. ‘When was the deposit made in your name?’ I might be asked. ‘Oh, didn’t I mention that it hasn’t been deposited yet, but I’m sure that it will be deposited in about 75 years.’ ‘ Okay,’ says the bank manager, ‘let me check the records of future deposits, aw yes, there it is and I see that it was only just transferred to your account, and recorded in your name. You may make the withdrawal.’ Thus the atonement has infinite temporal reach, and can accommodate candidates both before and after Christ’s sacrifice actually occurred.
What do you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment