Please keep Uncle Daniel in your prayers.
Love, Dad
An update from Lynn:
Well, Daniel has been moved to a "home" in Lindon, with about eight other people. It, and one other home, are owned and run by a woman, whose name I have forgotten. He has a small room, without a place for the stationary bike we loaned him -- too bad! But, we think we can replace it with a small similar device we see being used.
There is not much space for him to walk in the house -- around the hallway and on the front porch. I am frustrated, really frustrated, by the way the professionals treat him concerning physical therapy. A therapist comes once a day or so and works his arms and legs, and maybe walks him around the hall. I came one day, soon after he arrived there, invited him to walk with me, and he got right up. We walked out of the home down the front walk and along the uneven sidewalk for some distance -- twice. He did well -- very little need to help him balance. So what do I hear the next day? The physical therapist says his balance is not good enough for that. It is not safe! He needs to use his walker when he walks. And to top that off, the management is worried about liability, so I am not to walk him outside the building! How in the world is his balance going to improve using a walker?
Daniel has tried to walk, and walk out of the home once or twice. He has been more restless since the move, and that may be due to the new environment. The doctor is thinking to prescribe a sedative. Sheesh!
The set of people around him are a step up in mental and social abilities. It is pleasant to be around them. Too bad they can't understand him.
I do not see deterioration. Maybe a little improvement. He seems to understand what I am talking about better than before, and sometimes responds correctly verbally. His doctor tells Suzi that he is showing signs of stroke-induced senility and that it will progress considerably in the next couple of months. The poor dear woman! What a burden for her. She still has hopes of bringing him home sometime. But it seems the hope is growing dimmer.
Still, today I had a nice visit with him. He concentrated well as I wrote out all your names, names of his children, of neighbors from Menan. Then I wrote the names of "Menan" and the other towns around there. He paid good attention, and a couple of times tried to sound out the spelling of some names, though mostly in syllables I could not understand.
He still has a beautiful smile! Perhaps more beautiful and clear-eyed than before.
I wish I had more encourage news. But you deserved an update.
love,
-- Lynn
No comments:
Post a Comment