Saturday, April 27, 2013

Everything I Need to Know I Learned on a Mission

Dear Friends and Family,
Mission Office Staff
Last week we said good-bye to seven remarkable young men who were finishing their two-year missions and returning to their homes in Japan (3), the US (3) and Australia (1).  In their final gathering at the mission home, here is what we learned from the likes of Elders Bushman, Munro, Unice, Neki, Kanaida, Ogita and Everett on the day before their departure from the Japan Fukuoka Mission.
The hardest times were the best times. It doesn’t really matter who you are or what your skills are, but what matters is that you do your best.
As a missionary, you have many blessings and they all seem bittersweet.  I have loved the people, and worked as hard as I could to bless their lives.
I would need 4 or 5 hearts to contain all the love that I feel for this country and for these people.  The Japanese have become part of my life and there is no going back. It’s a huge kind of sadness to leave all this behind.
People used to tell me that a mission is all about love, and I thought they were nuts. But I have learned that our Heavenly Father loves each of us more then we can imagine.  And knowing this, there is no reason ever to doubt.
I have learned that people matter most.. and that the extra effort you make to bless someone’s life by connecting them with Christ’s gospel… especially when it seems hopeless…and then to have them respond to your efforts…that’s when the joy comes. A mission is about the one. 
I was amazed by the love I have encountered as a missionary... from those I have taught…from the mission president … from the mission mom…from the members, from my companions…from everyone.    I never imagined I would feel this much love.
Before my mission I was afraid I would be bored to death just talking all day every day about the same subject, the atonement of Jesus Christ.  But to my utter surprise, I found that the more I taught it, the more I loved doing it, the more exciting it became. It was never boring and it brought me joy every time. 
Even when you are totally obedient and doing your best in this work…sometimes you hit a wall…but my faith in the Lord Jesus Christ always gave me the hope and courage to continue …even after hitting a wall.
My father advised me to study the Book of Mormon during my mission.  Over the last two years, I have read in the Book of Mormon every day…I think I completed the book 18 times.   It teaches me so many things… it has given me power… has provided me the answer to every problem. 
I am a pretty strange guy and I appreciate that the president and his wife have loved me anyway and put up with me.
Everyone I have met on my mission, I feel the Lord wanted me to meet.  I’m grateful for every one of them.
Before my mission, I didn’t know much about Jesus Christ…and I really didn’t seem to care much.   My mission has taught me the role of the Savior and the Plan of Salvation. 
Throughout my whole mission, I have had nothing but the best people.  I’m grateful for the many who have helped me.  They all have taught me more than I ever could have taught them. 
I have found great joy in working to bring back to the Savior those who have strayed.  It gives me the hope that I can have the same impact on my loved ones back home who have strayed.
I have learned how to have fun while teaching the gospel. 
This mission has been more intense than boot camp.  We’ve had two years of focused preparation for the rest of our lives, and now we get to go home and put it to work.
Such is the collective wisdom of experienced 21-year-olds, and words to live by, we think. We send them with our love, and remain your faithful far-ea stern correspondents, 

Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment