Good afternoon,
I have great and blessed news to share. However, the words I heard our dear mother say once in awhile "I don't understand all that I know about it" come to mind. Details are somewhat hard to assemble at this point. Cathy and I are in Omaha (Winter Quarters) which is over a thousand miles from St. George where our newest granddaughter safely arrived in mortality about 4:15 a.m. (mountain time) this morning.
New baby girl Wheeler (she has no given name yet) was somewhat unexpectedly born, 10 days early, "at home" in the master bedroom. Jason was the sole architect, construction manager, obstetrician, husband, and father attending my undrugged daughter. This is their fourth youngster. Why wake up, or inconvenience, a neighbor or friend to watch Brooklyn (8), Talia (6), and Eli (3) when you need to flee to the hospital with little time to spare? Fortunately, the new baby was born without too much in the way of complication, and from the attached photo is a gorgeous, fortunate infant. Kara sounded calm, grateful and relieved when I spoke with her at 10:15 a.m. (central time).
Stunned to learn of the news through the photo attached to a 9:57 a.m. text message entitled, "Guess who showed up last night?
Kara did assure me they were going to take their new arrival to their pediatrician at 4:00 p.m. today. She has a call in to her own doctor, to have her own condition checked out ... but hasn't heard back and doesn't seem overly concerned. She assured me that many babies have been born on this planet outside of a hospital, and Jason did assure me that he vacuumed the bedroom floor early last night, so I'm sure the room was "germ free" ... cough. I'm very grateful Jason was with Kara last night. He was away on a work assignment in New York most of last week, arriving home on Saturday night.
I do not have vital statistics to share. Jason says the baby is "about 7 pounds" -- a number arrived at by subtracting his own wieght from the total when using a bathroom scale. I do not think they measured the baby's length with his construction tape yet. Of course new baby girl Wheeler will never be able to brag about a high Apgar score when she enters kindergarten. She was a "no-show" for her very first exam! As a law professor, I am appalled that one of my own would make such a choice! However, as I see her peacefully sleeping in the attached photo,
my heart melts, and all is forgiven. I'm very, very thankful for the miracle of life and a kind heaven who is looking after a faithful young family in St. George.
p.s. Getting a birth certificate may be a challenge (but they are holding a placenta in their freezer as "evidence").
Keep Smiling!
Love,
Kay

No comments:
Post a Comment